Irish President Michael Higgins said the country’s recovery from the magnitude-8.0 earthquake and tsunami that hit the country on March 11 had been “really remarkable” and that it was “an extraordinary achievement”.
“I have not seen such a massive recovery in Ireland in terms of public finances,” he said.
Mr Higgins said his country was now facing the “unprecedented challenge” of dealing with the aftermath of the quake, which has left 1,100 dead and many more injured.
“We have an enormous recovery challenge, and I believe we will continue to get it,” he added.
“I believe that Ireland is in the process of building a stronger, more resilient society, and that we have the capacity to respond to the challenges that we are facing.”
Irish Prime Minister Enda Kenny has said that Ireland will continue “to lead” a national recovery and said he would be sending more than $3bn in aid to Ireland’s devastated provinces.
Irish Prime minister Enda Kavanagh said on Tuesday that Ireland would be providing up to $3.8bn in disaster aid to affected provinces.
“The amount of aid that is going to be sent will be proportional to the extent of the damage,” he told the BBC.
“This will be more than the $1.3bn that was already allocated in the Budget.”
“We will be working with the provinces, our partners and others in the international community, to try and get more money to go in, and we will also be working to make sure that as much assistance as possible is made available to people and families who are still struggling.”
“There will be a very long list of things that we’re going to have to do to ensure that everybody is getting that aid and that everybody in the country is getting the support that they need,” he continued.
The Government has already announced a $1bn fund to provide support to Ireland to deal with the recovery, which includes a $600m package for schools and other infrastructure, a $300m aid package for those who have lost their homes, and another $300 million for a number of other areas of the country.
Mr Kenny said that if Ireland had had to deal directly with the damage to its infrastructure, the country would have been in a much worse state.
“What we are going to do is put together a huge number of different projects in the areas that have been affected by this,” he confirmed.
“If there was no direct government action, we would have had a situation where we would’ve had to do everything we could to rebuild and repair.”
Mr Kenny has previously said that the country was looking to spend up to half of its recovery aid on rebuilding.
The latest quake and tsunami has brought out the worst in the people of Ireland.
In the latest incident, a tsunami that was recorded at 7.2km above sea level hit Ireland, killing at least five people and injuring another 25.
Mr Kavanaghan has previously described the quake as the worst ever recorded in Ireland.
Mr Andrews said the Irish government is “ready to help” those affected by the tsunami.
“People have been told that the Irish people are ready to help those in need of help, and they are, and the Government will do everything in its power to help them,” he commented.
“But, as you all know, the Irish Government is the first to come into the field and provide assistance, and as you know we are very well prepared to assist those in distress.”
Mr Andrews has previously stated that Ireland’s response to the disaster has been “a very strong one”.
“We’ve seen the Irish response really be very, very strong and we know that the Government is ready to provide whatever support is necessary to get the Irish community up and running,” he stated.
“It’s going to take a lot of time to build up the recovery of this country, but we are prepared to help, we are ready, and all the other countries are.”